Friday, October 14, 2011

YA National Book Award Nominees

The nominees for the 2011 National Book Award were announced this week. Here are the finalists in the Young People's Literature category.

Franny Billingsley, Chime
Debby Dahl Edwardson, My Name Is Not Easy
Thanhha Lai, Inside Out and Back Again
Albert Marrin, Flesh and Blood So Cheap: The Triangle Fire and Its Legacy
Lauren Myracle, Shine
Gary D. Schmidt, Okay for Now

Check out the judges: Marc Aronson, Ann Brashares, Matt de la Peña, Nikki Grimes, Will Weaver. They know their stuff!

I've only read three of the titles (Shine, Inside Out and Back Again, and Okay for Now). I am terrible at "calling" these sorts of contests because each book has a different audience and a difference. The most powerful read for me was definitely Shine (which has an amazing epigraph), but the book I just want to pick up and hug and read again someday is Okay for Now. I've heard great things about all of these titles--except for My Name is Not Easy. Which means that this title will probably win because it's the one book I haven't heard of and haven't read. That's how it always is.

Happy reading and may the best book win!

No comments:

Post a Comment