Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Where She Went by Gayle Forman



Nitty Gritty
This is a sequel to Forman's 2009 stunning If I Stay. If you haven't read it, then skip this review and GO READ IT NOW!  Spoiler alert: This book is narrated by Adam, Mia's introspective, rocker boyfriend.  Mia survived the crash, but what happened to the broken pieces of Mia's heart? Find out what happened when Mia and Adam reunite for a memorable evening in New York City.


Touchy Feely
This book. Amazingness.  Rarely do I literally cry *into* books, but I did this one.  As in my copy now has wrinkly pages. It is a rare book that moves me to tears of sadness and joy at the same time.  Reading this book was so emotionally satisfying, like getting a massage for your soul.  Some bad stuff emerges, you cry it out, and you feel infinitely better.  Reading about how Adam and Mia changed after the crash really gives this book a more grown-up feel than your average young adult book.  They've started careers and began and ended significant relationships with other people.  They're looking for meaning in a terrible event. They're incredibly talented and beautiful people looking for love.  This is an indelible love story.  Now, if only it could be a movie! Swoon!

Nerdy Bits
Mia develops a relationship with a conductor who reminds me a lot of Gustavo Dudamel, the virtuosic Venezuelan conductor of the Los Angeles Philharmonic.  Mia names female cellist Jacqueline du Pre as her most inspirational musician. And of course, Yo Yo Ma is mentioned.  If you've read If I Stay, this gorgeous piece played by Yo-Yo plays a pivotal role in the story. (For you music nerds out there, It's Andante con Moto e Poco Rubato from Three Preludes.) 


Full Coverage

This cover pairs with the paperback cover, wherein cover model-Mia appears to be laying flat on a hospital bed.  

The hardback cover was gorgeous, and I'm a little sad it wasn't incorporated into the sequel cover. It's also odd to have a girl on the cover of a book narrated by a man. I wouldn't have minded an Adam Levine look alike on the cover, but nobody asked me.

Dewey Love
Let's here it for multimedia!
COMPACT DISC MA CLASS: Music plays a crucial role in Adam's and Mia's lives, so this book is chock full of music to explore. I was inspired to listen to cello music after reading If I Stay and Where She Went, so I hit up Appassionato by Yo-Yo Ma and others.
DVD BEFO FEAT: Several reviewers compared this story to the 1995 movie Before Sunrise.  I haven't seen it, so I can't say how it compares.

Inspirational Moment
Simply put, the music makes this story.  Check out Forman's playlists for If I Stay and Where She Went. Also, her website features this slightly spoilery book trailer.



Final Thoughts
Sequels rarely live up to their predecessors because it is difficult to capture the tone and voice presented in the first.  Mia's story, while not strictly complete, was self-contained.  In this book, the reader moves into an entirely different character and setting. I loved If I stay for its glimpse into a I loved Where She Went for its insight into the mind of a man rocked by love, loss, and the power of second chances.

No comments:

Post a Comment